Sleep Medicine is a medical specialty dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders. According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, at least 84 disorders of sleeping and waking lead to a lowered quality of life and reduced personal health.
Treatment for sleep disorders may be of vital importance, as some sleep disorders can be associated with other health conditions that you are unaware of.
As an affiliate of Providence Hospitals, Midlands Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine has convenient access to two Providence Sleep Disorders Centers:
Providence Sleep Disorders Center-Downtown
1655 Bernardin Ave., Suite 350-A, Columbia, SC 29204
Providence Sleep Disorders Center-Northeast
110 Gateway Corporate Blvd. Columbia, SC 29203
The physicians of Midlands Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine have expertise in a wide range of sleep-related conditions including but not limited to:
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Deprivation
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Sleep Walking
- Night Terrors
- Daytime Sleepiness
- Circadian Rhythm Disorder
- REM Behavior Disorder
Definitions for Some Common Disorders
- Sleep Apnea
- Insomnia: If you experience difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or enjoying a restful night's sleep, you may be suffering from insomnia.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a chronic, neurological sleep disorder with no known cause. It involves the body's central nervous system.and is mainly characterized by excessive and overwhelming daytime sleepiness, even after adequate nighttime sleep.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): RLS is most commonly described as a "creepy, crawly" sensation when they are at rest, especially at bedtime.
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD): PLMD does not cause the same "creepy, crawly" sensation, but rather causes uncontrolled leg kicks and movements, and can also affect the arms.
- Sleep Apnea Quiz
When your sleep is upset throughout the night, you can be very sleepy during the day. Maybe you have sleep apnea.
- Sleep: Test Your Knowledge
Why is sleep important? See how much you know about snoozing by taking this quiz.